Monday, February 28, 2011

January Bites

January is a great month to spend time in the kitchen, It was so cold out that being in the warm kitchen was where I wanted to spend most of my time. I came out of a rough job situation in the middle of Jan and jumped right into school and into the kitchen. I didn't have much time (seriously 13 hour days were the norm) so our diet took a hit but no more, no more.

The highlights of my culinary forays were vegan chocolate chip cookies, sorrel and pasta sauce from scratch!
I used this recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies, but as usual I changed it up because I never have exactly what I need (ahem, WORST grocery shopper in the history of all grocery shoppers.)
I didn't have molasses so I used a little bit of agave for the sweetness. I'm assuming molasses is sweet...I must experiment. I didn't have sea salt (the shame) so I used table salt. I don't use canola, so I used my handy grapeseed oil instead.
I followed her wonderful directions and these turned out to be the most fantastic vegan choc chip cookies we have ever had. I really must try it with the molasses!

The sorrel, i'm pretty sure I can't help you with a recipe...it's an eyeball kind of thing for me. But miss Sarina sure can. I put the sorrel into fun bottles i bought at crate and barrel and the one above was a birthday present  for my musician photographer friend James, hence the fancy tag/label.

As for my pasta sauce.....it sure looked pretty in that pot and it tasted quite divine......but I really can't tell you what I put into it. It started with a can of tomatoes and ended with a dollop of ketchup. But that's how I roll.
I may actually look into a REAL italian recipe that isn't bastardized by ketchup but really, don't dismiss the power of a good dollop of ketchup. After all, I AM from the caribbean. Ketchup is holy there.

*I will try to think ahead for some of these posts and actually take pictures of the process!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...