Sunday, October 2, 2011

This Knitting Business! (Part 2)



Part 1
Fast forward a few years. Intimidated by more intermediate knitting, i dropped it entirely.
I found crochet and took to it immediately. I was a crocheting fiend!
I kept seeing amazing knitted items and a pattern for a cream coloured cable throw kept shoving itself in my face! Cables! How utterly, stomach flippingly terrifying!

I joined a knitting group and never went to a meeting. I chatted with them online many times and was a little intimidated by the words they threw around. Brand names and gauge swatches, round needles and swooning over new yarns and fiber events. Some of them even spun their own yarn (holy shit)
I never even thought of that - still doesn't appeal to me yet thankfully.

I went to a meetup with some craft store yarn and one of the chatters had offered to lend me a pair of her round needles so i could make a shawl. 
I went to the meetup and sat down completely shy and i actually had to pull out my phone and google casting on (putting stitches on the needle in order to begin a project) oh boy!
The pattern seemed a little complicated too - fork.
I sat their fiddling and mostly plotting my escape. Only, i had that girl's knitting needles i couldn't flee without returning those (knowing that i probably would not be back). The kind girl next to me asked me what i was making and gave me some tips. I didn't want to bother her too much so eventually i just unravelled it and pretended to get interested in the spinning wheel that had arrived. It looked really complicated and super terrifying.
Eventually i handed the needles back to the girl who loaned them telling her that i'd be placing an online order later so i wouldn't tie hers up with my project. I escaped and after seeing the projects those ladies were making, i was determined to figure this knitting business out.

I found the nearest yarn shop soon after that and bought myself some pretty yarn (pricier than the craft store but oohhh sooo delicious!) It really helped that the yarn store wasn't terribly busy yet (it was early) and a lovely girl greeted me at the door and pointed out everything to me and left me to my own devices and let me know that she was nearby to help i could just wave her over. Fibre Space in Alexandria VA ROCKS! If  you ever get a chance - go there!
I spent hours and HOURS perusing the yarn aisles and picked up a few types of cotton yarn, some needles and really cool Fibre Space project tote ($2) i was fired up! They even had a computer available for you to look up patterns and tips!


I came home and started my project with the help of youtube and asking the knitting group a million questions. They all were happy to answer them. I started, frogged, started, frogged, started, frogged and then i did my first join! (angels sang) then i did my first CABLE! Which was so disappointingly anticlimactic..sigh who knew it was THAT easy to make such a satisfying twist? I cabled and round knitted my way into the most awesome hot water bottle cozy that makes cuddling up with my bottle so much more happy and delicious! I seriously need to make more of those what GREAT presents!


Buoyed by the success of the hot water bottle cozy, I felt the need to make a shawl. Yea, I needed to attempt lace.
I went to another yarn shop that was smaller and had a completely different vibe from Fibre Space. Uniquities in Vienna VA was an awesome place too! I didn't know what to expect but I really ended up loving it. There was SO MUCH inventory. Wow! The lovely lady who owned the place, I think she sensed my 'greenness' and she took a look at my pattern and made yarn and needle suggestions. Every time i pick up the needles my husband has to hear me squeal about how much i love them that they are the PERFECT needles for knitting lace (Addi Turbo Lace Needles). The lady picked them out and compared them to the others and she did let me know that the others could work and they were cheaper but this one would be more helpful. I needed all the help i could get and i was surprised when the needles turned out to be decently priced. 
I bought the first yarn she pointed out. The colour happened to be one of my faves that looks great on me and it was sooo soft and it was cotton :) I looked at others but came right back to that one. I also picked up my first Manos del Uruguay cotton stria and i'm hooked. I  LOVE that stuff! I got some linen yarn too but I haven't worked with it yet - if you're a knitter...suggest a project? Lace weight linen yarn.
I'm halfway through my shawl. It has been such a HUGE learning experience. I must have started it about 15 times before i got it. I discovered the beauty and necessity in using a row counter and stitch markers, I learned about decreases and increases and every repeat i finish i am constantly amazed at the pattern! I am also amazed at my ability to spot and fix my problems and my patience when i have to frog back many, many rows. I can't wait to wear it. Thank heavens it is a spring colour because it surely won't be finished till then.
Here's a peek. Don't mind the two straight lines of yarn, i've discovered those too. They are called lifelines and help you from having to undo the entire thing if you make a mistake!



I must admit i'm getting a little bored with the repetitive knitting so i've started an infinity scarf using the gorgeous Manos yarn that i picked up at Uniquities.
Mmm. It is moving along and it's a nice small project I can keep in my purse.

Are you a knitter? Do you want to be a knitter? I promise you it is fun. Sometimes a little stressful but your curiousity takes you beyond it. You're going to love, love LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...